Why is it that everybody gets so excited at the beginning of a new year? Simply stated, people love the idea of renewal. The mindset of: “out with the old, in with the new” has a lot of emotional appeal for several reasons. If the previous year did not bring the level of personal growth or achievement they had hoped, then the prospect of a new beginning carries with it feeling of opportunity and possibility.
If the previous year was rewarding, then there is the eager anticipation of even greater rewards to come. It seems to be a basic emotional character trait for most people to feel optimistic about the future. Is that how you feel? Are you looking forward to positive changes in the weeks and months to come?
The beauty of actions and optimism combined
Optimism is a beautiful emotional state, but without specific actions it won’t get you very far. When we are optimistic we become more alert to new opportunities. But when those opportunities present themselves, we must be willing to take the necessary actions to take advantage of them.
Think about the thought process that most of us go through at the changing of the year. We reflect on the last 12 months and analyze whether or not we are satisfied with the results we produced. And regardless of whether we are satisfied with those results or not, we make adjustments in an attempt to ensure that the next 12 months will be even better. Then we project that new, improved vision into our immediate future.
Making good use of optimism
Optimism alone is not enough to make positive changes in your life. That’s why most New Year’s resolutions tend to fall by the wayside after a few months. The intentions are good, but there’s a big difference between good intentions and results.
If you’ve been making the same basic resolutions year after year, then obviously you didn’t produce the results you wanted. And you know what they say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. So, what kind of actions does it really take to turn our intentions into results? Well, let me ask you this…
What do you think it takes?
Chances are you already have a pretty good idea of what it takes. After all, it’s not some secret formula that’s been purposely hidden from the general public. It is however, a formula that often goes ignored by the general public. Why? Simply stated, because specific actions are required, and many people are not willing to put forth the effort.
We all like the idea of making positive changes in our lives. And when we see that others have accomplished the things that we’d like to accomplish, we are encouraged. But to produce the same results that they did, we must be willing to put forth the same amount of effort and take similar actions. When you combine actions with intention you produce results. If you don’t get the results you want, you simply adjust the actions accordingly.
7 Actions that produce amazing results
Yes, it could! All you need to do is apply the formula. Like any formula, there are several factors involved. Let’s take a minute to review some of the more important ones in order to make sure that you have what you need to produce the results you intend.
1) Clearly defined goals. Before you can design a plan to accomplish your goals you need to be very, very clear on exactly what it is you intend to accomplish. When setting goals you need to be as specific as you possibly can. Include precise details so that you know exactly what it is you’re working toward.
2) Commitment. Never say you are going to “try” to reach your goals. The word “try” opens the door to failure. Make a commitment to take the necessary actions to see your goals through to the end, no matter what. Put a high priority on your goals, and make a determination not to allow anything to stop you from reaching them.
3) Understand your reasons. In addition to clearly defining your goals you also need to clearly define the reasons why you want to reach those goals. The underlying reason is more important than the goal itself. How will this goal affect your life in a positive way and why is that important to you? A person can accomplish just about anything if they have a good enough reason.
4) Create emotional anchors. What positive emotions are associated with your goal? Once you identify those emotions, be sure to associate them with your goal. Your goal needs to have emotional value to your nervous system. Emotions are the horsepower of motivation. To stay motivated you need to do more than think about your goals, you need to feel them.
5) Establish some milestones. You need a way to determine whether or not you are on course toward your goals. The easiest way to do this is to identify certain notable features that you will encounter as you move toward your goal. These will be your milestones. Identifying them ahead of time will help keep you on track and provide a sense of accomplishment along the way.
6) Make a timetable. One of the biggest problems with New Year’s resolutions is that people know when they’re going to start, but they have not set a time of completion. How long will your goal take to accomplish? Having a set timetable is one of the most effective ways I know to keep you focused on the task at hand. Before you start, establish a time for completion.
7) Identify success. What will successfully reaching your goal look like? What will it feel like? How will you know when you get there? These are all questions that need to be answered before you begin. If you don’t know exactly what success looks like, and how will you know when you arrive? Don’t take this for granted. Take the time to clearly identify what success means to you before you start moving forward.
Success is not an accident
If you’ve been disappointed in your results in the past, chances are you ignored one or more of the important factors above. If you’re feeling optimistic about your future, and would truly love to make some positive changes in your life, then you should definitely capitalize on that feeling. In reality, there is no reason to wait for a special point on the calendar to put this process to work for you. You can declare a new beginning anytime you like.
I want you to have the most rewarding, productive, result producing life possible. I truly do! I also know that wishing won’t get it done. Yes, effort is required, but what meaningful aspect of life doesn’t require effort? Everything worthwhile in this life requires some form of effort. Now that you’ve got the formula, there is still…
One more vital element
You must take consistent, focused actions. Start now, and don’t stop until you reach your goal regardless of the challenges or setbacks you may encounter. Remember, results are a combination of intention and applied effort. If you don’t get the results you want, you simply continue to change the actions you take until you succeed.
If you are really serious about finally producing meaningful changes in your life, I encourage you to pick up a copy of Find Your TRUE SELF. The whole process is laid out for you in an easy to follow format that is guaranteed to help you transform your life. Instead of just making resolutions this year, why not decide to turn your intentions into tangible results?
What kind of year do you intend to have? How serious are you about making positive changes?
The lines are open!
If you enjoyed this article consider email updates!